Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Van Oil Filter recommendations

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: what oil filter do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by foreverly View Post
    How many different filters are there for these vans? Manual vs Auto / 2wd vs 4wd?
    Originally there were 2 filters. 87-89 automatic 4wd's needed a shorter filter due to the oil cooler (there is engine coolant running through the filter base and that lifts the filter up a bit). All other vans took the bigger filter. You can use the smaller auto 4wd filter on all the vans, but if you can use the bigger filters I'd use those (they flow sightly better). Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

im really glad this thread is taking off. there are a few other filters from toyota with the same diameter and same thread size that fit. i have heard that the 90915-yzzd1 is the prius oil filter, and it is shorter because the engine is smaller and doesnt need a huge filter.
    if possible could everyone give the part numbers for what they are using? i only plan on using toyota filters myself, but it would be nice to have a cross reference chart, which is why i asked. gosh i must be some sort of nerd considering i stay up late checking part numbers lol

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Thank you Tim.

So I take it that the wider filters were made for the 4wd's since they couldn't have a long filter in them they needed to go out.

There is a lip on my auto 2wd that won't fit the larger diameter filters ala Napa Gold #1068. But Napa says it suppose to fit for 87-89 Auto's. I guess they really mean 87-89 4wd Autos.

I think a lot of the databases are a messed up at the parts stores. Many of them say there is a difference between manual & auto transmission. I'm thinking that although I have an Auto - I should buy the manual filters since I don't have a 4wd.

From now on I will stick to taller skinny filters w/ anti-drainback like Purolator Classic 14670 which is made in the USA & costs a wopping $3. Next time I will try the 99% Purolator that Montex mentioned.

The yzzd1 is a great littler filter but I like the idea of having a bigger filter.

& I know most people already know this but the guy at the Napa counter told me that all of the Napa branded fluids are really (for better or worse) Valvoline.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I have never experienced that problem...........but I have only used a Napa Gold/Wix filter on an auto 4wd once or twice (and I don't remember the part number). I always thought the filters were the same diameter, just different in height. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

a related question: i just cleaned my oil filter spindle? in anticipation of finishing my engine build swap, and i found a bolt with a spring and a jiggly thing inside the housing. is this an anti drainback? if so, is it ok to have an anit drainback in two places?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4WD LE Van w/Auto with custom 4-row core radiator

I just bought some Purolator PureOne filters that were on-sale at K-Mart for $3-bux and change. Purolator now only offers the shorter of the two filters in its 99.9% efficient PureOne synthetic media filter.

Regarding motor oil, I use VW-spec VW 504.00/507.00 synthetic motor oil. See the motor oil comparison graph(s) at the URL below:

Find the Lubrizol website at the URL below, and start clicking on the selections on the drop down menu on the left side.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/.../PC/index.html

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    a related question: i just cleaned my oil filter spindle? in anticipation of finishing my engine build swap, and i found a bolt with a spring and a jiggly thing inside the housing. is this an anti drainback? if so, is it ok to have an anit drainback in two places?
    That's the pressure relief/bypass valve. If your filter plugs up that valve opens and allows the oil to bypass the filter.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa Le S/C All-trac Turquoise Frost Metallic

what would I have to look up to find the manual transmission one?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

All manual transmission vans (84-89) will take a variety of filters. However, the one most suited (IMHO) is Toyota part #15601-33021. The 4wd automatic vans need the shorter filter due to the engine oil cooler attachment. They will still accept several Toyota filters, but the one typically used here is #90915-yzzd1. It was easier to keep up with this back in the 80's & early 90's, but now they have so many part numbers with such insignificant changes. I suspect many to be the same filter with different numbers (for marketing reasons). Tim

PS: I noticed in your profile you only have Previas. This discussion is regarding the earlier vans 84-89.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I am actually talking of vans,does anyone know of a puralator pure one equivalent for the 4wd manual.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

wonderful they don't make the pure one version anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Van DLX 2WD auto

This thread made me think of the last time I changed oil in the van, found the receipt from the Toyota dealership from when I bought the oil filter....July 2012! Time to change the oil! lol

At least I used full synthetic

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Is there only one oil filter stem for all models of vans with a 4Y? Oil change place said my Toyota filter, part #15601-33021 was too big and second guessed me about getting the right filter. "Did you tell them the correct year and model?"

I have a 4wd 5spd by the way. I only went to the place because another mechanic i trust recommended them and they have a machine to do a coolant flush. With oil change you get $15 off the coolant flush. They said they wouldn't do a coolant flush but didn't give a reason. Manager/supervisor just said "no" under his breath while walking out of the place and didn't return.

I knew i shouldn't have bothered and just done it myself but I thought having the machine flush would be a good idea.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That oil filter was actually the original one Toyota listed for 2wd vans and 4wd 5-speeds. Yes it is big but it does fit (it's the one I use). The shifter and emergency brake cables may hit on the top of it but they can be pushed out of the way. 4wd automatic vans have an oil cooler and they take/return oil via a "sandwich" device between the filter and the base, so this lifts the filter higher (and yes, the 33021 would be too big for one of these).

These oil change places are all about one thing.......making money. They don't want to mess around with older cars that are difficult to work on or "different". The van is definitely unique and the response you got is pretty typical. Once while on a trip with my Previa the scheduled oil change came due. Since I was away from home I stopped by an Oil Can Henry's and asked them to do it. Their shop was empty and the guys were bored/goofing off, but the manager refused saying they had a policy of not servicing "mid engine vehicles". I tried to tell him how easy it was but he wouldn't budge. Just as well as they probably would have done more damage bumbling around than I did driving another thousand miles on old oil . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD

Re: Van Oil Filter recommendations

All those looking for the taller filter (not the folks with a 4wd auto who are in need of the shorter filter; all other vans apply), look no further than the Baldwin B143:

https://www.amazon.com/Baldwin-B143-...951524&sr=8-11

I have used Baldwin filters for years and they are excellent!