Thread: front end noise

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

front end noise

Can't figure out what it is. It doesn't do it when the wheels are straight, and it doesn't do it when the car isn't moving. It has a rubbery, squeaky quality at low speeds but becomes more of a whistling chirping sound at higher speeds. It worsens on acceleration. The belts appear to be OK and I don't get any abnormal sounds from the power steering at rest. Fluid is fine.

It really seems like its a right front wheel issue, but I've checked the rotor and pads and don't see anything wrong, though I haven't pulled the caliper. It isn't a typical wheel bearing sound, and the right wheel feels the same as the left, which is quiet. The tires are fine and show no signs of rubbing or uneven wear.

I'm baffled. I will try and get a sound file uploaded.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: front end noise

Let's see if this works. This is the sound going around in circles, but the wheel is not turned all the way. This isn't the greatest recording and makes it sound a lot more like a power steering issue than it does in real life.

https://cdn.sndup.net/658p/noise.wav...res=1632516179

well it was working but the link is dead now...the webhost did something
    Last edited by Previologist; 09-24-2021 at 07:15 PM.

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Ain't got no business with Previas at all, but my Saturn does the same thing. Have you checked your splash guards in the wheel wells for any signs of rubbing? Sounds eerily familiar. Might be that or not

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I do have splash guard rubbing in the same area the noise is coming from. But I've known about that for a long time, and this is a new noise. So I don't think its that.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

https://streamable.com/4g2mfs

This is the sound at low speed where its squeakier and squinkier. Kinda hard to get it at higher speeds where it sounds more whistley and metallic, and my connection is too damn slow to upload larger files.

Its gotta be either wheel bearing or brakes...but doesn't sound like either

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I think we can add a new sound to the lexicon of bad wheel bearing sounds. I checked it just a couple weeks ago and wasn't sure but there is definitely play in it now.

That's the good news. The bad news is this is not a home job for me. Oh well, whats a few hundred more in my $8000 Previa...
    Last edited by Previologist; 09-27-2021 at 05:36 PM.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Strut mount

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I don't think so. That's more of a clunking sound

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Anyone removed the knuckle on an all-trac before? I've never gone that far before and I'm not sure if I want to try, but if its fairly painless I might. I have a feeling it isn't what I would call painless however. I'm still not sure what exactly it involves even after looking at the manual pdfs since they are are so brief and meant for someone who already knows what they are doing.
    Last edited by Previologist; 11-03-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

I've replaced tie rods, ball joints and CV axles, but don't think I ever entirely removed the knuckle as the main objective. Probably the most germane info is the CV axle stuff since you get close to removing everything with that.

I'm attaching a text file (my own notes) consisting of a bunch of unattributed copy-and-pastes plus my own comments, along with a a pdf procedure from the Yahoo Group, which I did not follow. These are "as is" for my own records so not super-organized and obviously any links to the Yahoo Group won't work (but I've attached the file). The "DR Comments" are notes to myself.

I personally wouldn't consider any of this "fairly painless" - there's a decent mix of finesse and gross muscleing involved, apart from any rusted part issues. Also, you might break your speed sensor if you try to remove it with anything other than Extreme Care. I mean, I guess I won't miss sliding into the street at the end of my sloped driveway when the ABS "helps" me in the winter when I really, really just want to stop moving forward, but since the old sensors are unobtanium, I'll have to endure the red ABS light mocking me for my ham-handedness until it burns out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the info! Yeah I think I'm gonna pass on this job. If it was summer, maybe, but I hate doing serious mechanical work in near-winter. Plus I need to get this done so I can go somewhere in a few weeks that it isn't near winter haha.

I ordered a Koyo bearing and oil seal that I think are probably the OEM, and found a shop that will do it for 250 bucks. That's about 100 more than I want to pay, but the other shops were 100 more and toyota was 200 more.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Plastic

My bearing arrived and...a wheel bearing seems like a funny place to have plastic. Maybe that explains the plasticky whining sound. Guess I'll know soon enough when they remove the old one.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Ugh. They pulled it apart and said I need a new hub.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

It'd be interesting to hear exactly what made them say that. Unless that sentence means you didn't need a new hub until they pulled it apart
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I never got to look at it, they had put it back together by the time they called me. They said something about a 20/1000ths tolerance being exceeded. But Looking at my FSM on SA-10 it says the bearing should be replaced if backlash exceeds .00020. Then it says if the deviation at the surface of the axle hub outside the hub bolt, and if it exceeds .00020 replace the bearing.

I don't see anything about replacing the hub. I also didn't hear the noise on the drive home.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Well I guess the hub is worn and the bearing just slides off so I guess it is indeed in need of replacement. No doubt another "fringe benefit" I inherited from the shop of the moron I bought this from. My shop said that "someone has been in there before" and I see that wheel bearing and hub assembly is another thing the previous owner replaced in his chop shop.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Well, it's good you fixed it! Thanks for adding the resolution and letting us sit in on your paid class in the school of hard knocks (and squeals, and scrapes...)

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Not making noise now but not quite fixed...100,000 mile hub assembly arriving tomorrow and getting installed with new bearing Friday. Hopefully then its good for another 100,000... They assured me it needed to be replaced and I'm heading south for the winter, spring and hopefully summer so it better GET fixed. I couldn't take the chance of having it go bad en route and most southwestern shops are crooks in my experience

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

New hub and bearing are in, and they seem to have deducted the amount it cost me the first time when they couldn't finish from the overall cost they quoted me. So it came out right on estimate at $250 bucks plus parts. I need to go through and replace everything the previous owner touched...and with the JDM engine last summer I"m already well on my way...