Thread: Over Heating issue

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1989 4WD

Over Heating issue

I just bought a 1989 Toyota Van 4WD and it's been giving me Heating issues ever since I bought it.
    I got the Radiator flushed and repaired/ replaced fan clutch and that made the issue a lot better but didn't completely fix it.

It still overheats in these conditions: if it's really hot out, if I'm going up a hill for a long time, and if I've sitting at a stop light for a long time.
    I took it to a mechanic and was told they couldn't get it to overheat, but I'm missing the bottom part of the radiator fan shroud and that could possibly be my issue.
    I can't for the life of me find the bottom part of the shroud anywhere.

It's hard to think such a tiny piece would make a difference, but hopefully that is the case.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what my problem could be?
    Also, does anyone have a radiator fan shroud to sell?

Thanks!

Julian

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Re: Over Heating issue

Welcome to the club! I would start with an OEM Toyota thermostat. Does your fan clutch work properly? It should engage before the van gets to hot. It makes a loud whirl.

You can download the 1987 version https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...-Repair-Manual. There is a trouble shooting section in there under cooling system.

Good luck!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1989 4WD

Hey, thanks Ian!

I believe the fan is working properly, as the shop I went to replaced it, but I'll check it myself.
    I don't have a thermostat at all, so I'll look into one.

I'll be diving into these for the next few days.
    I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Julian

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Lemon - Are you saying that currently, there is no thermostat installed in your engine?
    If so, that should have been the first repair and evaluate from there.

You cannot expect the system to run properly without it, but if its overheating with the stat removed, you most likely have head gasket issues.
    That is the only reason I have seen stat's removed (to hide an underlying issue)
    If the shop you're using knew there was no stat at the outset and continued with the other repairs, I would suggest finding a new shop.

Have you spent any time getting up close and personal with all the threads about cooling systems?
    Everything from how to change a stat (and which one to use) to head gasket replacements is hiding in there.
    Tim even did a tutorial on how to test your clutch fan.
    There are also several threads on clutch fans, again the whole OEM vs A/M but also the differences between blue and red stripe Denso fans.

I don't want to duplicate any of that info here as my CRS is likely to create some mis-remembrances
    (and the whole reason why I always send people to the archives)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

Is the EGR system disabled? My '85 would run hot and overheat on long uphills. I noticed that the EGR vacuum hose was plugged to disable the EGR. I re-enabled it and it drastically reduced temperatures. Now, I can't get it to even reach the middle of the gauge. The EGR system reduces combustion temperatures, so if it's not working, a lot more heat is generated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonater View Post
    I just bought a 1989 Toyota Van 4WD and it's been giving me Heating issues ever since I bought it.
    I got the Radiator flushed and repaired/ replaced fan clutch and that made the issue a lot better but didn't completely fix it.

It still overheats in these conditions: if it's really hot out, if I'm going up a hill for a long time, and if I've sitting at a stop light for a long time.
    I took it to a mechanic and was told they couldn't get it to overheat, but I'm missing the bottom part of the radiator fan shroud and that could possibly be my issue.
    I can't for the life of me find the bottom part of the shroud anywhere.

It's hard to think such a tiny piece would make a difference, but hopefully that is the case.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what my problem could be?
    Also, does anyone have a radiator fan shroud to sell?

Thanks!

Julian

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

do you have a R heater? i found my lines clogged during the second flush and replaced a rotted corner section of piping.

my hiace will reach the high end of normal(>195*f) in 4wd uphills (slow) and steep grades when ambient was >85*f. the digital gauge has shown 215* while stock gauge hardly moves.
    no issues idling even when >100* or with A/C on when driving flat.
    returns to normal quickly.

added a trans cooler. i may change to a larger external, and separate from the radiator.

my next step is to add electric pusher fans.