So I lifted our 96, with extra confidence in parts ordering- thanks to this thread and others on this site. It seems that the suspensions didn't change much between the US vans of the 80's and the JDM vans into 1996, so the info found on the (5 lug) US vans still applies. Our 1996 is a CR31G frame, NOT the late 96 and beyond "noah" models, which obviously will be much different.
I used:
Front: Kyb kg5440 gas-a-just shocks.
Rear: Daystar KT09100BK plus 24-186056 - Bilstein B6 4600 Series.
Minor modifications were necessary- I trimmed the rubber on one set of shocks and the steel bushing tube on the other. An angle grinder was handy. It was 1/4" removed from the tube, so a file could do it, but it would be time consuming.

Up front I cranked in about 7 full turns. This yielded right around 1 inch of lift, which was my goal. Out back, I lined the daystar bushing internally with part of the original upper spring cushion. This held it more firmly in place, that daystar is too big on it's inside diameter.

The rear adjustable rear brake body height sensor- it has a m10.0x1.25 threads, so a coupling nut and another short bolt with the head cutoff makes a clean solution- I am still trying to get the coupling bolt though...

We already had the 27" grabbers on there, and this mod was mainly to eliminate rubbing issues.
front before:29 1/4, after- 30 1/4
Rear before 29 1/2, after 30 5/8