Thread: Front end safety issue

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Front end safety issue

I tried having a safety inspection today and failed due to some issues with the driver's side CV shaft, differential and ball joint. I looks like that front wheel could come off at any time and therefore is unsafe to drive.

The mechanic said some of the parts are unavailable and I asked what about using parts taken off other vehicles (e.g. junked cars). He said those parts would be too worn out to be used.

He took video of what was happening with that wheel on the back side. I don't have the video but I can ask him for it and if he didn't delete it already I will post here. What I saw is that he could move the thing in and out of the wheel with very little effort.

The other side of the front end was all tight and right, but he said I would have to replace both sides. I don't understand why. I've seen stuff on this forum that seems to indicate that there is not a single piece going all the way across the front of the van joining the wheels.

How expensive is this kind of repair? The price they quoted me seems to be much too high.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Re: Front end safety issue

I did a search on that parts dealer in Dubai using my VIN#. Looks like they might have everything I was told would be needed. Can anyone on this forum make an educated guess as to what the total cost of this job ought to be? If you need more details about what's wrong, ask me. I'll respond as best I can.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Front end safety issue

A list of the part numbers and, if possible, their descriptions could prove to be helpful.