Thread: Transmission woes

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Transmission woes

My 2wd 5 speed work van's transmission failed on Thursday. I had a spare 2wd manual transmission but when I cleaned it up I found the fill plug had been covered in silicone. After removing the silicone I found the plug had been cross threaded then forced until it cracked the boss. When I removed the plug big chunks of the boss fell off . I tapped the threads deeper (all the way into the case) then installed a longer drain plug with FPG on the threads. It's holding for now but that transmission is also making a high pitched whining noise in every gear except 4th, so I think it's days are numbered.

I have a couple of good 4WD manual transmissions, so I'm going to put one of those in.......but, as you know the transfer case will hit on the 2wd gas tank. I'm guessing you may have seen my wanted ad by now, but thought I'd ask here in the forum if anybody knows where I can find a 4wd gas tank. Lol, I actually have (2) 4wd parts vans and both have tanks, but they are parked in an area with soft ground and with the recent freeze (followed by a bunch of rain) they are both inaccessible. I tried to pull my forklift up to the one on firmer ground Saturday and promptly got it stuck. Now I have big ruts and still no tank . Jacks and stands are out of the question as they will only tip and/or sink.

I've been planning the 4wd transmission mod anyhow and I'm really looking forward to the low range when I need to go up a steep/bumpy driveway while towing my trailer. Installing a Detroit locker is next on my list. . Tim

PS: Yes I know my van is a 2wd and I'm posting in the 4wd forum area . But I figured the 4wd people would be more likely to have access to 4wd parts .

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Re: Transmission woes

Sorry to hear about you tranny. FWIIW If I still lived in Portland, I would have let you have the tank off my 4wd parts van. Having that low range will be cool. Reminds me of the marlin crawler dual transfer case setups for the PUs.

ps having a locker tears your motor mounts and suspension bushings up pretty quick along with needing to coast turns when in 1st- 3rd. I think it is too much traction. I would spend the extra coin and get an ARB locker, that way you can just flip it on when you need it and LSD the rest on the time. Which reminds me to ask if the rear axles are 27 spine...?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thanks for the info Ian. I was not aware I could expect more wear/tear on the mounts. Don't the ARB's require air to shift? To me that seems a bit complex (running lines, dealing with potential leaks, etc). I wonder if there's another type that would offer a bit more traction without all that. Does anybody make an electric switching locking diff?). Perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and go ARB as I already have air on board. Yes, the Toyota 7.5" differentials are 27 spline. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Oh, does eaton still make 27 spline lockers for the rear differential? Or did you find an old one somewhere? I was looking for them, and I could only find the 27 spline models for front differentials.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Yeah my van bucks at low rpm around turns if I don’t coast the turns. The motor mounts wear out in about 40k miles ( I have replaced mine twice in the last 80k miles). You will know their toast when you release the clutch when starting from a stop in 1st and it feels like the rear end jumping ( which really is the motor bouncing around)

I am not aware of other selectable 7.5” lockers. I took a second look at ARB and some sites say rear end application, but the same PN on other sites say it is for front end applications. So it would be worth verifying prior to making the purchase.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I have no experience with these, but based on some quick research I think the ARB #RD90 fits both front and back on our vans. But wow, these sell for ~ $1k each. Good thing mine is only a 2wd. Based on what you said about mounts, I think I'll go with the ARB..........but that's for another day AFTER I find a tank and get the 4wd tranny installed. Tim